Thursday, June 14, 2007

Building a Boar

Sparkles can destroy most mobs without taking any noticeable damage. Why is this important? It means you can take two or three mobs around your level without any problems. And those pesky elite mobs? When you see the boar's health dip, use mend pet and keep on going.

When grouping, always keep a watchful eye on the squishies. They will love you when the boar rushes in to pull aggro away from them. At this point, you might have two or three mobs on the boar. You have a few options.

We like to kill the mob with the lowest health first. If two or more mobs are still on Sparkles, we run in and freeze one. At this point, some of the other party members should be free to help. If not, the freeze trap will provide some temporary relief and give the Mend Pet some time to work its magic.

Active boar skills:
  • Growl: Great for grabbing aggro
  • Charge: Rush in, daze the mob for a second. Add x attack power to next attack.
  • Gore: Gores mob with a 50% chance to do double damage. We like those odds
  • Cower: Great when you have a "real" tank in the party. We usually leave this off
Passive boar skills:
  • Cobra reflexes: Great for interrupting casters
  • Avoidance: May not be that useful at lower levels
  • Natural Armor: Your boar already has an armor buff. Give him as much as possible and tank away.
  • Great Stamina: More health is always a good thing

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, NOT cooler than BRK

Big Red Boar said...

WAY cooler

Kirk said...

Where did you get Sparkles? What type of boar is she? Do you have a pic?

Byron said...

Instead of running in a freeze-trapping, why not drop a freeze trap at your feet, shoot the one you want to trap, and let it come to you? Then Cheetah to the other side of the fight, and resume dps. Unlike Screech birds and Gorillas, boars have no AoE aggro ability, so it's easy to pull the aggro of an add your boar isn't targeting, usually a single Arcane, Auto, or Steadyshot will do it.

Byron said...

Also, to be picky, Charge immobilizes for 1s, not dazes. Dazed, target can still move, just not fast. Not that it makes much diff in 1s though.

Big Red Boar said...

Sparkles is one of the coolest looking boars in the game.

Petopia

We love the armored look. There are three to choose from in RFK.

Big Red Boar said...

Why do I run in? If I shoot the mob and he resists my trap, I will need to Feign. If he resists my feign, I have to Warstomp. Etc.

I take the easy way. Waltz in, place trap, move to range, and keep on going.

Anonymous said...

Why does BRB pretend to be separate from BRK

He is one and the same I'll bet

All he needs is a few more self flames to prove it

Anonymous said...

LOL - 3 hours after BRR goes up BRB gets a real article with a picture even.

My what a little competition does.

Samuele Scettri said...

I have a Rotting Agam'ar, which I love.
I'm even starting to like your blog, if it wasn't for the Big Red Blogs competition I feel here.
I think you can really give some good advices, just forget about BRK, BRR or whatever, and the Boar-loving hunters like me will keep on reading your blog.

I also confirm that the boar build you suggested is correct, but to be honest when it's time to do some damage in a good party I use my Cat.

Also, as I posted about everywhere, if you choose to level up a Boar from lower levels (like I did with mine) remember that Charge 4 and Gore 5/6 are nowhere to be found in Azeroth, so you will find yourself with low level skills on your boar until you can tame Ashmane Boar.

Which is painful if you want to keep your RFK boar and train him. My lev 42 boar still has Charge 3 and Gore 4, which are skills for level 24-28 beasts. What a shame.